Teachers have a unique perspective about what they need to improve their practice. EduDesign is an experimental space that supports teachers to engage in a collective process of inquiry-- to grapple with self-identified questions and problems of practice. The fellowship is a year-round experience that kicks off with a summer institute and includes multiple convenings throughout the year. Each cohort provides space for fellows to build community, make sense of big ideas together, grow their justice work-- in their practice and in schools, and support one another as professionals.
The EduDesign fellowship is not your typical professional development-- it is a collective approach to learning. Each cohort is led by a team of teacher-leaders positioned not as experts but as co-learners alongside fellow participants. These teacher-leaders serve as planners and facilitators of this co-created learning experience. College of Education staff, faculty, and other resources support the work as well. This is our second cohort specifically designed to support the experiences of teachers who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or People of Color.
Some of the questions we will explore include:
- How do we prioritize educators of color and their radical self- care as a form of activism and resistance?
- How do we push back against the ‘savior complex’ and performative activism that plagues teachers and education?
- How do we move through resistance and into liberation & re-creation?
- How do we co-create/contribute to a radical school community that supports adults and students to show up as our whole selves?
EduDesign is a year-round experience that will kick off with a summer institute in August. In addition, we will gather again in the school year for four Saturday workshops. This cohort is planning to meet IN PERSON in August and again in May (depending on covid rates), and ONLINE in October, December, and February. Each fellow will need to be available for the following dates:
Summer Institute: Aug 9 & 11, 2022 (9 AM - 1 PM) IN PERSON
Saturday Sessions: Oct 8, 2022 | Dec 3, 2022 | Feb 11, 2023| May 6, 2023 IN PERSON (9AM - 12PM)
The fellowship cohort works together with the support of the EduDesign Leadership Team, UW Teacher Education Retention & Support Specialist, and UW ConnectEd Co-Director to shape the EduDesign Fellowship experience. Fellows are committed to the following efforts:
- Come prepared and focused for the Summer Institute and Saturday sessions. (There will be some pre-work amounting to about 15-45 minutes, depending on the session.)
- Share what you know, what you’re learning, what you’re wondering, and what you are challenged by.
- Try out ideas with your students and colleagues; document some of those experiences.