Teachers have a unique perspective about what they need to improve their practice. EduDesign is an experimental space that supports teachers to engage in a collective process of inquiry-- to grapple with self-identified questions and problems of practice. The fellowship is a year-round experience that kicks off with a summer institute and includes multiple convenings throughout the year. Each cohort provides space for fellows to build community, make sense of big ideas together, grow their justice work-- in their practice and in schools, and support one another as professionals.
The EduDesign fellowship is not your typical professional development-- it is a collective approach to learning. Each cohort is led by a team of teacher-leaders positioned not as experts but as co-learners alongside fellow participants. These teacher-leaders serve as planners and facilitators of this co-created learning experience. College of Education staff, faculty, and other resources support the work as well. This year we are launching our third cohort specifically designed to support the experiences of Dual Language (DL) teachers.
In a time of both turbulence and possibility this cohort will support one another to take up the complex work of building on our students’ funds of knowledge to develop culturally sustaining pedagogies toward biliteracy and critical consciousness in our classroom communities.
Some of the questions we will explore include:
- What is our collective understanding of biliteracy in DL programs and what are some current biliteracy frameworks?
- How can we build upon the relationship between biliteracy and culturally sustaining pedagogies?
- How can we understand and leverage connections between translanguaging and bridging with biliteracy?
- How do we help students see the value in what they already know and motivate them to continue learning to be bilingual & biliterate?
- How do we support and teach biliteracy across content areas and across grade levels?
EduDesign is a year-round experience that will kick off with a summer institute in August. In addition, we will gather again in the school year for four Saturday workshops. This cohort will be meeting in person for our summer institute and possibly the January session. Other school year sessions will be online. Each fellow will need to be available for the following dates:
Summer Institute: Aug 2 & 4, 2022 (9 AM - 1 PM) IN PERSON
Saturday Sessions: Oct 29, 2022 | Jan 28, 2023 POSSIBLY IN PERSON | Mar 25, 2023 (9 AM - 12 PM) Final Reflection Session: May 20 (9-10:30 AM)
The fellowship cohort works together with the support of the EduDesign Leadership Team and College of Education Professional & Community Learning staff to shape the EduDesign Lab Fellowship experience. Fellows are committed to the following efforts:
- Come prepared and focused for the Summer Institute and Saturday sessions. (There will be some pre-work amounting to about 15-45 minutes, depending on the session.)
- Share what you know, what you’re learning & wondering, and what you’re challenged by.
- Try out ideas with your students and colleagues; document some of those experiences.